You will be submitting 5 essays total. You are to watch 5 documentaries and explain how each documentary relates to class. Each essay should be at least one page in length and include the following:
1. The name of the documentary
2. The topic of the documentary—–a short synopsis/description of the documentary
3. How the documentary relates to class material—-this can include any material in any chapter in the book
4. You cannot repeat a topic nor use the same theory/class material more than once—-example—if you watch a documentary about serial killers and use Rational Choice Theory to relate it to class, you cannot use Rational Choice Theory nor any type of murder again.
5. If a chapter has multiple theories in it—-like chapter 7—-you can use that chapter more than once
here is some of the theories and notes on them that you can use
self reaction theory
rational choice theory
a. Many kids with ADHD also suffer from conduct disorder (CD) and are aggressive and antisocial.
4. Brain chemistry.
a. Neurotransmitters influence brain functions and may be related to aggression and other antisocial behaviors.
5. Arousal theory.
a.Some people need high levels of environmental stimulation to maintain interest leading to aggressive behavior
social reaction theory
A. Stigma-producing encounters.
1. Behaviors that are considered criminal are highly subjective.
2. Crime is defined by those in power.
3. Not only acts are labeled, but also people.
4. Both positive and negative labels involve subjective interpretation of behavior.
5. Consequences of labeling.
b. Joining deviant cliques.
social policy and trait theory
A. Primary prevention programs.
1. Seek to treat problems before they manifest as crimes.
2. Family therapy organizations, substance abuse clinics, and mental health associations.
B. Secondary prevention programs.
1. Provide treatment after violations of the law.
a. Psychological counseling.
b. Attendance may be a requirement of probation, part of a diversionary sentence, or an aspect of aftercare at the end of a prison sentence.
1. Environmental stimulation from people including parents, relatives, and peer groups accounts for IQ level.
2. Low IQ from environment encourages delinquent and criminal behavior.
3. Low IQ scores among criminals reflect cultural background, not mental ability.
Mental disorders and crime.
1. Mood disorders are characterized by disturbance in expressed emotions.
2. Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is an ongoing pattern of uncooperative, defiant, and hostile behavior toward authority figures, and it interferes with daily functioning.
3. Conduct disorder (CD) creates difficulty in following rules and behaving in a socially acceptable way.
5. Crime and mental illness.
a. The most serious forms are psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder (manic-depression).
b. Research indicates a link between severe mental illness and violent crimes.