Assignment 1: Business Rules and Data Models
Due Week 2 and worth 100 points
Suppose a local college has tasked you to develop a database that will keep track of students and the courses that they have taken. In addition to tracking the students and courses, the client wants the database to keep track of the instructors teaching each of the courses.
Use the internet to research the types of information that a college would want to track in a database. Focus your attention on information that could represent entities within a database as well as attributes of such entities.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Describe the purpose of the database.
- Based on your research and / or common knowledge of a college and the information tracked by a college, describe the entities of the database and the attributes of each entity.
- Based on your research and / or common knowledge of a college and the information tracked by a college, describe the business rules that could impact the structure of the database.
- Determine the information that the conceptual model of the database would include and determine the information that the physical model of the database would include.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe the role of databases and database management systems in managing organizational data and information.
- Compose conceptual data modeling techniques to capture the information requirements.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in database systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about relational database management systems using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.