As a scholar, knowing how to write a clear and concise summary is a critical skill to master. Effective summary is used to articulate a source’s essential ideas, but without plagiarizing. This week’s Learning Resources will help you develop effective summary skills and avoid unintentional plagiarism.
For this Discussion, you will reflect on your own writing in relation to summary and academic integrity. Based on what you have learned from the week’s Learning Resources, you will share your thoughts and experiences on summarizing with academic integrity.
To prepare for this Discussion
- Read the Learning Resources on effective summary academic integrity.
- Reflect on your writing process in relation to summary and academic integrity. You may even choose to consider how you approached this specific Assignment in relation to summary and academic integrity.
******Post a 1- to 2-paragraph reflection on your summary skills, including any strengths as well as weaknesses. (Note: You may choose to reflect specifically on how you will apply the effective summary concepts in this week’s Assignment.) Be sure to address any strategies you may have to ensure academic integrity in your writing.
Walden University. (2015i). Walden templates: General templates. Retrieved from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/templates/general
The APA Course Paper Template (6th ed.) document is used as a template for each week’s Assignment.
American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Chapter 6, “Crediting Sources”
- Read the sections on “When to Cite,” “Citing References in Text,” and “Reference Components”
- Read “Basics of Summarizing.”