Public defenders have long labored with excessive caseloads while being under-funded. Some have argued that this presents an unethical conflict of interest. In what ways do you believe this to be an ethical conflict? In your discussion you also address the following:
- What is the responsibility of the defense attorney to the client?
- Are there specific ethical requirements you believe exist for the defense attorney?
- What ethical conflicts arise when the public defender has an excessive caseload (i.e., quality of representation; rigorous defense of client’s case, etc.)?
- Your well-written paper should be 4-6 pages in length not including the required cover and references pages.
- Support your paper with at least 4-6 scholarly references (of which the textbook may be one).
- Format your paper according to APA Book Banks, C. (2017). Criminal justice ethics: Theory and practice (4th ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Sage Publishing. ISBN-13:9781506326054