( I’ll upload everything needed )
AMH 2020 – American History II – Fall 2018
For each section, you will answer ONE of the two questions. Each of your 3 answers should be between 500-1000 words (2 to 4 pages). You are only responsible for material from the second -half of the course. You must base your answers on the text book, my lectures, and the primary sources. Moreover, you must cite at least ONE of the primary readings per each answer (either from the Voices of Freedom book or those that have been posted on Canvas). The Exam is due at 11:59 PM on Tuesday, December 4. Your exam will be uploaded to Canvas. It will be checked for plagiarism using Turn-It-In.
Section 1 – The New Deal and World War II:
- What were the three goals of the New Deal? How was the New Deal “new” and progressive? How did it reinforce racial structures in the South?
- How did the American experience in World War II shape the post-war world? Discuss some of the pros and cons of the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Section 2 – Cold War and Civil Rights:
- How did the Cold War affect American politics? How did the Cold War affect American culture?
- Discuss the Civil Rights movement. When did the movement begin and how did it gain momentum into the 1950s? What were some of the gains of the movement in the 1960s?
Section 3 – Late 20thCentury Liberalism and Conservatism:
- What were some of the political gains of the New Left in the 1960s? How did feminism and gay liberation expand throughout the end of the 20thcentury and into the 21stcentury.
- Discuss the long history of conservatism in the United States. How did the movement evolve from the 1960s until the 21stcentury? How did conservatism challenge the New Deal liberalism?
Exams must conform to ALL conventions of formal writing. This means that your essays are expected to be doubled-spaced, 12-point font, grammatically correct, and refer back to the course’s readings. Please include a word count on your paper. Papers that are either too long or too short will be penalized.
Please submit your document as a Microsoft Word file – or a similar word processing file. DO NOTconvert the file to a PDF.
- Your exams should have a heading with the section number and the question that you’re answering (either #1 or #2). If you don’t tell me which question you are answering, I will not know how to grade you!
- Like the last assignment, you answers should have an introduction, a body (where you provide the evidence for your answer), and a conclusion.
- The last paragraph of the paper should be your conclusion. In your conclusion, summarize your arguments you made to answer the question.
- Your answer should be based on the course material – the assigned readings and lectures. DO NOT CONSULT ANY OTHER OUTSIDE SOURCES!!!I do not want to know what Google or Wikipedia tells you about these topics. All the information you need to answer these questions can be found in the text book, the primary source reader, and the lectures. You will be docked points for any outside research!!
- Don’t forget, you MUST also introduce and contextualize your quotes. You must tell your reader what document you’re quoting.
- You should also try to avoid extended quotations. In almost all circumstances, you shouldn’t be quoting more than one or two sentences at a time. When you’re trying to quote a longer passage, intersperse your own words as necessary. When I see paragraph-length citations I start to worry that you’re just trying to fill up space…
You should try to give yourself time to write and revise your essay. Take advantage of the resources provided to you by the university. The bridge tutoring program will gladly assist in the writing process. USF also has a wonderful writing studio that will also assist (by appointment). While they will not write your paper for you, they will help you edit and revise your paper.