Compare-Contrast Essay – Rough Draft
In Chapter 6, you learned about different types of personal writing, which include descriptive essays and narrative essays. You were also able to use these techniques in the essay you wrote during Week Two. For this week’s essay, you will be writing a Compare-Contrast Essay on the similarities and differences between a narrative essay and a descriptive essay, ending with a persuasive statement on which style of essay you believe is superior to the other, based on the examples you selected. For more information on how to write a persuasive statement, please refer to Chapter 7 of your text.
To assist you in writing this Compare-Contrast Essay, you were asked to choose one descriptive and one narrative essay to use from a list of possible essays. In the Week Two assignment, you wrote a draft of an essay that utilizes the techniques implemented by these authors.
During your discussion forums this week, you identified similarities and differences between the essays you chose. Now, you will use those items to create a Compare-Contrast Essay. Chapter 6 from Essentials of College Writing references two ways to organize this type of essay. In your essay, you will present several points of comparison and contrast in either block arrangement or point-by-point organization.
In your draft:
- Present several points of comparison and contrast in either block arrangement or point-by-point organization. Make sure to address the structural components of each essay.
- Incorporate the following:
- A quote from one of the chosen essays.
- A summary of a section of one of the chosen essays.
- A paraphrase of a section from one of the chosen essays.
- Conclude with a persuasive statement about which style of essay is superior, based on the examples you selected. Make sure to address how the structure of the essay contributes to its superiority.
This rough draft needs to be between 900 and 1000 words, and it should have a thesis statement that clearly states what you are writing about. For more information about writing thesis statements, review Chapter 5 of Essentials of College Writing or visit the