Discussion 7.1: Medication Considerations: Special Populations
Identify commonly used medications to treat gastrointestinal disorders
This discussion forum allows you to consider medication considerations based on special populations of patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Your participation in the discussion forum, including the following:
- A response to the initial question(s)
Step 1 Consider the population.
Review the pathophysiology and pharmacological treatment options for patients with IBS, ulcerative colitis, or Crohn’s disease, paying particular to factors such as psychosocial, location, diets, and ethnicity.
Step 2 Post a response to the discussion board.
Considering all factors, summarize the pharmacological treatment options for patients with the above conditions. Identify any trends or patterns you may see.
Include the following information:
- Description of the treatment options
- Do the benefits outweigh the risks? Describe those benefits and risks and be specific in your rationales.
- Does where that person lives contribute to their condition?
- Does age or other factors lessen or heighten the persons chances of getting these disorders?
- If you were the provider, is there a diet you would recommend to resolve symptom issues? Why, that particular diet?