(Choose one of the following questions from #1 – #5)
1. Discuss the development of the model of the ideal Hindu wife from the early Vedas to the Upanishads and how it had an impact on women’s lives.Many reformers from within and outside of the Hindu tradition have called for changes in the status of women, yet the traditional ideals of womanhood remain firmly entrenched in Indian society. To what extent is it possible and/or legitimate to tamper with social-religious practices and norms that date back thousands of years?
2. Utilizing Social Media briefly describe the practice of Hinduism today-its main features. Describe Hinduism and other religions of India in America, including the Hinduism of Indian immigrants and India’s influence on the American religious landscape.
3. Give the fundamental features of either Jainism OR Sikhism.
4. Compare and contrast Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism. In what ways are they expressions of a single religious tradition, and in what ways are they unique traditions? In your response, identify and respond to at least one issue or problem related to the relationship between the two major forms of Buddhism.
5. Discuss the ways in which religion in traditional China is syncretistic.
(Choose one of the following questions from A – F)
A. In what ways can persons of no religious persuasion benefit from the study of Hindu spirituality?
B. In what ways can persons of another religious commitment benefit from the study of Hindu spirituality?
C. What do you think is the relationship between spirituality and religion? (Is it direct and immediate or merely incidental?)
D. a. Give an example of someone who in your judgment is very spiritual, although notprofessedly and actively religious? What are the outstanding qualities of this person? b. Give an example of someone who in your judgment is a very spiritual person precisely because s/he is professedly and actively religious. What are the outstanding qualities of this person?
E.The Buddha has been dead for over 2,500 years. What do you think is the core reason for his fascination among people today?
F. Talk about the meaning of Dao including the religious concept of Yang and Yin. Comment on the importance of this concept for understanding Chinese religion.