Perceptions of Aging:
Media has a tremendous influence on the way we view segments of society. This influence manipulates our perspectives and gives us information, whether accurate or not. We tend to absorb information from mass media without question and use it to guide our categorization of social roles.
Look at how the media emphasizes youthfulness and beauty. Unfortunately when the media portrays the elderly it is often done in a way that does not provide an accurate representation. The public representations are usually negative and confirm stereotypes that the elderly can no longer contribute to society in a positive manner.
Watch at least 60 minutes of TV, focusing on the depiction of older adults. In a minimum of 200 words, analyze and discuss TV programming in the context of at least two of the following:
- Portrayal of elderly characters
- Intergenerational themes
- Conflict in relation to the older population
- Stereotypes or myths about aging
- Cultural issues with regard to aging
Also include your own thoughts about aging. When do you think a person becomes elderly? What do you think of older people?
- By the due date assigned, post your responses to this Discussion Area.
- Through the end of the module, read all of your classmates’ postings and respond to at least two classmates’ posts that differ from your opinion. Consider sharing your own experiences and interpretation of the research. Support your findings with examples and scholarly references. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Remember to remain respectful of all your classmates’ views.