Case Study 1: Deviant
Donald Sterling, an American businessman and
attorney, was the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, a professional basketball
franchise of the National Basketball Association (NBA) from 1981 to 2014. In
April 2014, Sterling was banned for life from the NBA after private recordings
of him making racist comments were made public. In this case study, you will
investigate the manner in which social controls may have helped or hurt Sterling
in his fight to maintain ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers.
Read the article
titled “Donald Sterling built an empire and an image; words were his undoing”,
located at: http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-donald-sterling….
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Determine whether or not you believe social controls played a significant
role in Donald Sterling’s loss of ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers. Provide
a rationale to support your position.
- Debate whether you believe that the social norms for men of Sterling’s age
support the use of derogatory language when discussing a member of another race.
Next, support or criticize whether the social norms of men Sterling’s age are
reasonable in a very “politically correct” society. Provide support for your
- Argue for or against the theory that an “informal sanction” (i.e., ostracism
by peers) would have deterred Sterling’s behavior. Next, specify whether or not
the “informal sanctions” would have satisfied anyone who was offended by his
comments. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- The $2.5 million fine that the NBA imposed on Donald Sterling was a formal
sanction for his comments. Considering the fine, elaborate on the primary manner
in which this formal sanction carried out the purpose of protecting the players
and the league. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment.
Note: Wikipedia and similar type Websites do not qualify as
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Classify risk factors associated with age of onset and future deviant and /
- Differentiate between the main theoretical approaches used to address
- Use technology and information resources to research issues related to the
- Write clearly and concisely about the criminal mind topics using proper
writing mechanics and technical style conventions.