The essay is required to be 750-1,000-words. Essays should be 5 or more paragraphs with a clear introduction, thesis statement and conclusion, written in APA format (APAstyle.org). You can pick one of the following topics
- Discuss the origins of the Cold War. Do you believe it could have been prevented? Be specific in your response.
- Do you think high levels of military spending on the American side was the reason that the Cold War ended? Explain your reasoning.
- How did Dwight D. Eisenhower embody the 1950s era in which he was president? What lesson can today’s leaders take from him?
- What new direction did the foreign policy of the United States take during the early days of the Cold War? Discuss two effects of this new policy, then and now.
- Write an essay in which you argue that, in hindsight, the Cold War could have been prevented or at least minimized and why.
- Some people consider Joseph McCarthy to have been a ruthless demagogue while others see him as a tragic figure from the 1950s. In an essay, discuss which way you see him.