Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
Get perfect grades by consistently using our affordable writing services. Place your order and get a quality paper today. Take advantage of our current 20% discount by using the coupon code GET20
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Week 3 – Discussion 1
|Women in Science and Demographic Mapping [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2, 4, 5]|
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, review the following Required Resources:
- Chapters 5 and 6 of the textbook
- Understanding Why Girls Underperform at Science (Links to an external site.)
- What We Learn From 50 Years of Kids Drawing Scientists (Links to an external site.)
- A Map of Whole Foods vs. Wal-Mart in the Bay Area (Links to an external site.)
- Scientists Can Now Figure Out Detailed, Accurate Neighborhood Demographics Using Google Street View Photos (Links to an external site.)
Note: Should a pay requestor pop up indicating that you have exceeded your quota of article viewing, simply access the resource after switching your browser to InPrivate mode (IE browser), Private mode (Firefox browser), or Incognito mode (Chrome browser).
Choose one of the following two options to address in this discussion. Be sure that your initial post meets the full length requirement of 300 words, and that you incorporate at least two of this week’s required resources in your post, one of which should be the textbook. Include citations and a full reference to your chosen sources. (See the Required Resources page for all references in APA format).
Option 1: Read What We Learn From 50 Years of Kids Drawing Scientists (Links to an external site.) and Understanding Why Girls Underperform at Science (Links to an external site.).
- When you picture a scientist, what does that person look like?
- When you were a child, how did you picture scientists?
- What role does gender stereotyping play in the tendency for girls to grow up to be scientists?
- How does this vary around the world?
- What kind of cultural messages do we send to children by the way different professions are portrayed in the media, books, movies, and television?
- How can we help all children overcome stereotypes that may influence their educational performance?
Option 2: Read Scientists Can Now Figure Out Detailed, Accurate Neighborhood Demographics Using Google Street View Photos (Links to an external site.) and A Map of Whole Foods vs. Wal-Mart in the Bay Area (Links to an external site.). Using Instant Street View (Links to an external site.), enter your own neighborhood or zip code (or choose another place you’ve lived or visited that you would like to explore). In your post, identify the area you are exploring. Review your surroundings as though you were an anthropologist. Include screenshots if you would like to do so.
- What can you tell about the area? Is it urban, suburban, or rural?
- What kind of buildings are there?
- Do the buildings look like single family houses or apartments?
- How many stories are they?
- How much space is there between buildings?
- Are there yards and gardens? If so, what is in those yards and gardens?
- What kind of vehicles do you see in this neighborhood?
- What is the likely socioeconomic status of the people who live there, based on the buildings, vehicles, and yards?
- What do you think the everyday lives are like for the people who live there?
- Do your observations fit with your knowledge of what this area is like? How do your observations fit with the two articles you read?
Week 3 – Discussion 2
You are required to contribute 150 words to this forum by Day 7 (Monday). Refer to the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric under the Settings icon above for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
|Week 3 Open Discussion [WLO: 3] [CLO: 1]|
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, review this week’s readings, guidance, and announcements. Reflect on what you found interesting, surprising, or confusing.
This discussion forum is an opportunity for you to explore topics that interest you, share critical insights and questions that you are working with, share your struggles and triumphs, and discuss difficulties that may have arisen this week. Your initial post should describe your experiences in the course this past week, prompting further discussion. Address at least two of the following questions:
- Was there anything that caused you to view the world around you differently or examine a topic from a different perspective?
- What struck you in particular as you explored the course materials this week?
- Do you have questions that your classmates might be able to help you with? (If you have a question for the instructor, be sure to contact your instructor via email or in the Ask Your Instructor forum).
- Part of having the growth mindset, which we talked about in the Post Your Introduction forum, is to learn from the feedback and critiques you get from your instructor and classmates. Review your feedback on the Roots of Prejudice and American Dialects Discussion in Week 2. How will you incorporate your instructor’s comments on this week’s discussion? (If you have a specific question about your feedback, be sure to contact your instructor via email).
Have your paper completed by a writing expert today and enjoy posting excellent grades. Place your order in a very easy process. It will take you less than 5 minutes. Click one of the buttons below.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper