In Chapter 4 of the textbook, you were introduced to the concepts of “presentation of self” and “impression management.”
For your assignment in this unit, you will study your digital footprint using both the micro theories of self, found in
Goffman’s concepts, and the concepts found in Chapter 5.
Start by doing some research on your digital footprint. Review various websites of interest that can assist you in your
assignment. One example is the Internet Society website (hint: look under the section What We Do, then Internet
Technology Matters, then Privacy and Identity—listed on the left side of the screen). Then complete the assignment
- Discuss your social self, or how you introduce yourself in social situations, in your opening paragraph.
Google yourself. This search will give you several arenas for your digital footprint.
Describe the various websites you find that you could use to learn about yourself (e.g., you might see your
birth record link).
- Discuss who manages these sites and thus is involved in the management of your presentation of self
- To which statuses and groups do you belong? How do these affect your digital footprint?
- In what ways can aspects of your digital footprint impact personal or professional opportunities?
- Describe the various websites you find that you could use to learn about yourself (e.g., you might see your
Next, open your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or other online networking site.
In a few paragraphs, explain how you manage your self-presentation on these websites. Be sure to include
information such as your statuses, roles, and identities that you present on the sites.
- Discuss why you chose to include those statuses, roles, and identities, but not others.
- Explain how social structure shapes what you reveal and what you hide about yourself.
How does the way you are managing your self-presentation online impact your personal and professional
- In a few paragraphs, explain how you manage your self-presentation on these websites. Be sure to include
NOTE: If you do not use the above-mentioned social media, interview someone who does and get their responses to
questions 3a, 3b, 3c, and 3d.
Your final submission must be a minimum of two full pages. As always, use APA formatting with in-text citations and a
proper references page. Ensure that you cite all sources used in your response.
I WILL INCERT MY OWN INFORMATION. I JUST NEED A SCHOLARLY ASSIGNMENT FOR THE REST. CITATIONS AND REFERENCES A MUST.
THE BOOK WE USE IS Witt, J. (2015). SOC 2014 (3rd ed. update). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Education. Plus any research material that you use.