Research Essay–The HCCS Government Department requires that 25% of students’ final grade be based on a writing assignment.This essay is a required assignment.
Mandatory–This grade is not dropped.If not submitted on time it is a zero. A zero is devastating to a final grade average and may cause a student to fail the course or drop an “A” or “B” average to a “D” average.
No late papers–Absolutely no late papers are accepted.Let me repeat:No late papers are accepted. The essay must be submitted through Canvas on the deadline and under no circumstances can or will the paper be accepted after that deadline.
Completing the paper is your responsibility. If your personal computer is unreliable, use college computers to complete your work on time. If your computer dies, get to the college and use their computers.If that doesn’t work, get to a library and use their computers.
Immigration and Texas Law Enforcement
Read or view the following hyperlinks.Use these as your sources in your research essay.There is no need to use formal citation methods, but rather, you may informally refer to the sources in your research essay.
You may add to this research material based on the latest news about the issue.I recommend you do so.But be certain to provide documentation for the new source as well.
Answer the following questions in your research essay.This isn’t a suggestion, it is a requirement.If you don’t answer all these questions, you will lose points.
- What is the current law in Texas regarding local law enforcement and asking about immigration status?
- What is controversial about local law enforcement asking about immigration status?Who has jurisdiction over immigration–the federal government or the local government?
- What did the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals say about the new law?
- What are Gov. Abbott and Sheriff Valdez’s positions on immigration?Is immigration an important issue in this election year?
- What is the current situation with separating families at the border?
- Where are you from—where did you grow up—and did your hometown, state, or country influence your political beliefs?
- How did you learn about government growing up?
- How did the area of the country or the world you’re from help determine your political socialization? Did your experience with where you are from influence how you approached the topic of immigration and how you read your assignment?
- What influenced and how your political socialization—your parents, your religion, your peers, your school, the media?
- If you’re 18 or older and a citizen, are your registered to vote and have you voted before?Why or why not?
Since you are studying these issues in a political science course and you read your textbook chapter on political socialization, did your political socialization influence how you approached the topic of immigration?As you read in your chapter about political participation and public opinion formation, you learned that how you perceive political events are influenced by a number of factors.
Answer the following questions in your essay.Remember these answers are strictly confidential.This is an exercise or inventory to help you understand what influences your political views and socialization.
MECHANICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PAPER:
1,000 Words, Minimum.You can write beyond that if you wish but points will be deducted for papers under 1,000 words.Five points off for every 25 words under 1,000.
Write your essay on a word processor with Microsoft Word.Highlight your document, copy it, and then paste it onto the dialogue box on the Canvas site for submission of your paper.Look over the pasted document to make sure nothing has been left out.
Provide the word count at the end of the paper.When you type a document on Microsoft Word, Word automatically counts the number of pages and the words at the bottom left of the workspace in the status bar.If you don’t see the word count in the status bar, right-click the status bar and click “Word Count.”You can also go to “Tools” on a classic Word, menu, pull down and click on “Word Count”.And as stated above if the word count is below 1,000, then you will lose points.
If you do not type in bold print the word count at the bottom of the paper I will penalize your paper by five (5) points.
Write this paper in your own words.Don’t worry if you’re ESL or if you don’t think you are a good writer.I want to hear your ideas and your experiences.Your impressions.All in your own words.
Do not plagiarize.Do your own work.If you quote from an article be sure to put the material “within quotation marks” to indicated you have used the author’s own words.Indicate the source you used after the quote.As to your discussion, your analysis, and your personal reflections, you have to write what is in your head, heart, and mind.Your words are better than anyone else’s in telling me about what you know and what you think and believe.Do not risk flunking this assignment by plagiarizing.If you plagiarize you will receive a zero and that zero will not be dropped.
I check for plagiarism.
You should use proper grammar, spelling, syntax, and you are graded competitively against your classmates.You are trying to write the best paper because your classmates are trying to write the best paper they can.I am looking for the best paper and I will grade all papers against each other.This means that the best paper gets the best grade, the next best paper gets the next best grade.Simply turning in a paper does not mean you pass.You need to write a passing paper and compete with your classmates for grades.