- Week 4 ProjectAssignment Due March 14 at 11:59 PMSupporting Lectures:
Refer the following lecture:
- Delivering Culturally Appropriate Services
- Reducing Health Disparities
In 2011, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published the first CDC Health Disparities and Inequalities Report (CHDIR). This report examined health disparities in the United States associated with various characteristics, including race/ethnicity, sex, income, education, disability status, and geography.
Among other recommendations, the 2011 CHDIR emphasized the need to address health disparities with a dual intervention strategy that focuses on populations at greatest need and improves the health of the general population by making interventions available to everyone.
Review the following PDF to learn more:
MMWR: Strategies for Reducing Health Disparities—Selected CDC-Sponsored Interventions, United States, 2014
Create a 4- to 5-page Microsoft Word document that addresses the following:
- Compare the patterns of the major diseases of Hispanic/Latino groups and their rates and health effects between the other racial or ethnic groups living in the United States.
- Identify at least one consequence that a lack of access to healthcare has on Hispanics/Latinos.
- Explain why access to care issues will need to be monitored even more closely within the U.S. healthcare system beginning 2014.
- Find at least two scholarly journal articles that discuss all or at least one of the topic areas related to Hispanic/Latino health disparities in the United States. Provide a synopsis of each article.
- Explain what type of barrier(s) (structural, financial, or socio-cultural) each article examines? Describe at least two policies or strategies that can be implemented to improve access to healthcare services as they relate to the articles you reviewed.
- Submission Details:
- Name your document SU_PHE4120_W4_Project_LastName_FirstInitial.doc.
- Submit your report to Submissions Area by the due date assigned.
- Cite any sources in APA format.
- Support your responses with examples.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2011, January 14). Health disparities and inequalities report—United States, 2011. MMWR, 60.