An Introduction to Sociology
All responses should be in your own words. Avoid using definitions or quotes from the text. While it is easy to repeat what is in the text, the ability to rephrase concepts into your own words will increase the likelihood that you will be able to understand and retain the information. Please type your response to each question directly under the question.
These questions are taken largely from the course textbook. However, the sections required and supplemental materials may also be useful in completing this assignment. This assignment is required and will also serve as a reference for your individual review and study.
- In your own words, explain the sociological imagination and its importance.
- Briefly analyze a social problem using the sociological imagination.
- What is the importance of each of the key sociologists mentioned in the chapter? (Example: Augusta Comte, Max Weber, Karl Marx, etc)
- What are the three sociological perspectives? They are also referred to as paradigms and theories.
- Explain the difference between macro and micro level of analysis. Which theories use macro analysis? Which theories use micro analysis?
- What are the key beliefs of structural functionalists?
- Structural functionalist discuss three types of functions. What are they? Explain each one. Which do you feel they would focus on the most and why?
- What are the key beliefs of conflict theory?
- What are the key beliefs of symbolic interaction?
- What are the pros and cons of each of the three paradigms?
**At the end of each chapter you will find a list of key terms, section summaries, section quizzes, and topics for future research. While these sections are not required, these are useful study aids. Their utilization is strongly encouraged.**
note: use this website to read chapter 1 so you could answer the assignment