Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapter 9 of the course textbook, and review sections 2.5, 3.1, and 3.2 from previous chapters. Also, read the articles Children’s Sense of Self: Learning and Meaning in the Digital Age and Personal Self-Concept and Satisfaction With Life in Adolescence, Youth, and Adulthood (Dodge, Barab, Stuckey, Warren, Heiselt, & Stein, 2008; Palacios, Echaniz, Fernández, & Barrón, 2015).
The concept of self is a core concept for the study of personality, and most of the theories we have studied in this course postulate some idea about what constitutes the self. This week’s materials examine the self-psychology model, which presents several theories regarding how we perceive ourselves and how that perception is expressed in personalities.
In your initial post:
- Identify two theories of self from those discussed in Chapter 9 that resonate the most with you.
- Provide a brief overview of each theory, being sure to identify the principal theorists associated with each of your two chosen theories.
- Explain why you relate to these theories.
- Describe the impact of the current digital age on the concept of self, including the impact of social media on the way we perceive ourselves.
- Explain whether or not our perceptions of self are evolving because of social media, including the idea of a digital self, and provide examples of how this might be happening or provide a rationale as to why you believe it is not happening.
Your initial post should be a minimum of 350 words and should include references to both of the assigned articles.